Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What A Waste Of Time

I decided that I would go off to one of my local Crown Courts this week to see if I could make some progress on a number of cases that had not been running particularly smoothly. On one case the Client had been granted bail at the Magistrates Court on his first appearance in custody, he had then failed to provide any instructions and he was not abiding by his bail conditions because his mail was being returned from his bail address. I thought that by attending at his preliminary hearing I could sit him down and get some instructions. On another case my Russian speaking Client had failed to provide any instructions and again I thought that the preliminary hearing would be a good chance to extract instructions from her. The last case was simply a hearing for no evidence to be offered against my Client as his case was to be dropped, I thought it would be nice to see the prosecution back down in person.

It all went wrong. The first Client failed to appear. The second Client's interpreter failed to attend Court. The third Client's case was called on when I was in Court with Client number one's case.

My best laid plans turned out to be a waste of time.

No comments: