Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Are You Mistaken?

I recently sat in a Police interview where my Client was denying an offence. He was then read the relevant passages from the victim's statement and was asked to comment on the allegation. My Client continued to protest his innocence and then the Officer gave a summary of what my Client had said:

Him: "So are you calling him a liar".
Client: "Yes".
Me: "No, he is saying that the gentleman is mistaken. There is a big difference between lying and being mistaken - he is mistaken".
Client: "Yes, that's right. I am mistaken".

With the Crown Prosecution Service serving bad character applications at every available opportunity all I need is a Police Officer getting my Client to agree that he is calling someone a liar so I am then inundated with double the work for the case!

No comments: