Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Bar

I wrote about Lord Carter of Coles recently and the fundamental legal aid review that is being carried out by the Department for Constitutional Affairs. Today I read on the Bar Council web site (the body that represents all barristers) that they have already met with Lord Carter of Coles! That was quick.

A round of applause goes to the Bar Council for acting so fast. What are us solicitors doing about the situation? As far as I know, and I may be wrong here, the Law Society, the Criminal Law Solicitors Association, the London Criminal Courts Solicitors Association, the Legal Aid Practitioners Group and the Legal Action Group, have not yet done anything. They may well have other issues to deal with at present, or they might still be formulating their action plan.

The Bar Council really has been on the ball with recent murmurings over changes to legal aid. They are currently leading the way showing up us solicitors!

I know of one strong minded solicitor who has decided to tackle the issues head on (you will need to scroll down the page to see the letter from Dennis Clarke). I have been sitting pondering the best way to deal with the issues raised in the DCA report. I have put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and will soon fire off a letter to the DCA.

I am of the opinion that if I do not get my voice and my objections heard then I have no right to whinge and complain. Perhaps I should get involved in some kind of practitioners group to take my objections to the next level?

No comments: